Did you know the Father of Cosmetic Surgery was a fellow named Gaspare Tagliacozzi, performing reconstructive surgery in the 1500s? Did you know in a recent UCLA study, 43% of all women were interested in cosmetic surgery, and only 23% of men said they were? Cosmetic surgery may be more popular than ever in the U.S. but there is a lot about the field you have probably never thought of. Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery has some fun facts to share with you – so sit back and enjoy our cosmetic surgery trivia!
- Switzerland has the highest per capital cosmetic surgery rate, 215,621 procedures per 100,000 people. The U.S. ranks 19th in the world with 30,738 per 100,000.
- The first recorded rhinoplasty is from 600 B.C., written about in Indian Sanskrit texts.
- The strangest cosmetic surgery procedure, a voice-lift: An implant of fat, or even cadaver tissue can be placed into the vocal cords to make the voice sound more youthful.
- Sheyla Hershey, a fellow Houstonian, has the largest breast implants, with a 38kkk size bust. This 28 year old had to travel to Brazil for her final breast augmentation because the amount of saline injected exceeds legal approved requirements in the U.S.
- Cosmetic surgery is gaining popularity with cats and dogs, as well. Rhinoplasties, eyelifts, and abdominoplasties are the most common procedures performed on pets. Sometimes these alleviate health problems and other times, it is purely to please their owners.
- There is a children’s book, My Beautiful Mommy by Dr. Michael Salzhauer, to help kids understand and cope with their parent’s cosmetic procedures.
- 2/3 of all cosmetic surgery patients are repeat customers.
- In 2011, the most common invasive cosmetic procedure was liposuction, and minimally invasive procedure was Botox Cosmetic.
- The U.S. city with the most plastic surgery last year was Beverly Hills, California. This was closely followed by San Francisco and coming in third was Miami, Florida.
Did you learn something new about cosmetic surgery? To find out more about a particular procedure, schedule your appointment at Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery, we’ll be happy to share our expertise with you.