You know what you want: reduced frown lines on your forehead and no more fine lines around your lips. The problem: you are confused on exactly what product you need. Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery, Houston’s top plastic surgery center, is here to simplify the difference between Botox Cosmetic and dermal fillers.
What it is:
- Botox (Botulinum Toxin) is made from a purified protein, which blocks the release of acetylcholine, the chemical that causes muscle contraction.
How it works:
- Botox is injected into the target muscle, weakening it, and thus eliminating wrinkles.
Where it works:
- Botox is best used on the muscles around your eyes and forehead – for ‘crow’s feet’, ‘frown lines’. Botox is also good for eliminating neck bands.
How long it lasts:
- It takes 3-5 days for results to show, after a Botox Cosmetic treatment, and they last about 3-4 months.
What they are:
- Dermal fillers are natural volumizing substances, such as hyaluronic acid or calcium bases micro-spheres.
How they work:
- Dermal fillers are injected just below the dermis, to restore volume and eliminate wrinkles by providing structural support to the skin. They also stimulate your body’s own collagen growth, which further improves the look of the skin.
Who they are:
- There are many dermal fillers on the market, and each is slightly different. A few of the most popular dermal fillers include Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiesse.
Where they work:
- Juvederm – treats forehead wrinkles, nasolabial folds, ‘smile lines’, thin lips, and sunken cheeks.
- Restylane – treats lines around the mouth, ‘lipstick lines’, ‘laugh lines’, ‘marionette lines’ or the lines that run downward from the mouth, and to fill out the area under the eyes.
- Radiesse – treats lines around the jaw and chin, nasolabial folds, and reshapes the cheeks.
How long they last:
- The results from dermal fillers are apparent immediately and can last up to a year or even longer.
If you still have questions about Botox Cosmetic and dermal fillers, call Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery. We can explain the differences in products and help you decide which product best suits your needs.