Katy Perry sums it up: “You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine.” We are all beautiful on the inside; the hard part is to find a way to share this with others. Well, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, America has found the key! Their 2013 statistics show more and more people are turning to cosmetic treatments to brighten their appearance. Over 15.1 million procedures were performed last year; that amounts to roughly 12.6 billion dollars. Take a closer look at some of their numbers:
- Breast Implants were the No. 1 procedure yet again, making up 28 percent of all surgeries.
- Gynecomastia, or male breast reduction, went up by 11 percent.
- The always-popular Tummy Tuck was up by 5 percent.
- As American women age, the Neck lift is becoming the rage, increasing over 6 percent.
- Botox hit the highest number of injections to date: 6.3 million injections over the last year.
- A high number of patients are working on their second-plus procedure, increasing 4 percent.
- Office-based, noninvasive procedures went up 5 percent.
It is also clear that the U.S. performs the largest number of cosmetic surgeries in the world, putting us ahead of Japan, Brazil, and Mexico. So, now you know exactly what Americans are doing, but can you guess who is doing it?
- The region with the most cosmetic procedures: the Mountain/Pacific area with 4.3 million.
- Caucasians: 10.5 million, up by 3 percent.
- Hispanics: 1.7 million, up the most by 6 percent.
- African Americans: 1.2 million procedures, up by 5 percent.
- Asian Americans totaled 988,000 procedures, moving up 1 percent.
Are you ready to find your inner “firework”? Call Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery at (281) 488-0088 for a consultation. Let us help you show the world the beauty that lies inside.
To take a look at the 2013 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report, put out by the ASPS, go here.
Happy 4th of July!