College basketball recently held their much-anticipated Selection Sunday. This is an important day, as all of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) participants are ranked, determining who will play in the March Madness tournament.
Choosing the perfect plastic surgeon is a lot like Selection Sunday. Before going under the knife, potential patients should make a mental chart of their options. Learning about the specific procedure and reviewing local doctor’s websites, can provide important initial information. Finally, once the surgeons have been narrowed down to a small group, an in-person consultation will need to be scheduled. Only at this point can the best physician can be determined.
To help prospective patients begin their journey, the American Board of Plastic Surgery has put together a printable list of what to look for in a plastic surgeon. These items can be used as a point of reference to compare doctors. In the end, it should be simple to narrow down not only the most qualified cosmetic surgeon, but also find the one that best connects with an individual’s personal needs.
When looking at plastic surgeons, ask yourself the following questions:
- How long has he/she been working in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many times has the surgeon performed this specific procedure?
Board Certification –
- Is he/she certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Do they hold privileges at an accredited hospital?
Aesthetic Sensibility –
- Are there Before/After photos of the surgeon’s previous work available?
- Does his/her results appeal to your aesthetic desires?
- Has the surgeon performed this procedure on patients with similar concerns?
- Do you like spending time with this doctor?
- Do you feel like you can trust this surgeon, especially in an emergency?
- Is the surgeon’s surgical facility of choice accredited?
- Will a Board Certified anesthesiologist be used?
- Was the office staff friendly?
- Did the surgeon’s office clearly describe their fees – and are these all-inclusive?
While these are just a few of the questions that you should ask yourself during and after each consultation appointment, it is clear that no detail about the surgeon can be overlooked. From the office staff to operating room staff, from the cleanliness of the waiting room to the congeniality of the surgeon, everything should come into play when choosing a plastic surgeon.
Take a cue from Selection Sunday, and give your potential plastic surgeons deep scrutiny. Unlike the NCAA tournament, there is no ‘maybe next year’ for aesthetic surgical results; these will be final.
If you are in Houston, contact the area’s best to discuss your cosmetic surgery needs. Dr. Paul Vitenas has been providing top aesthetic surgery results for close to 30 years. Call Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery at 281.484.0088 to set up your in-person or virtual consultation today.