Keeping your skin moist, healthy, and glowing even during the winter months can be a challenge. Cold, clear days often make it difficult for your skin to look and feel hydrated. Harsh winter weather causes your face and hands to have flaking, cracking, and even inflamed skin. Cracking of dry skin is itchy, uncomfortable, and unsightly. It also allows germs to settle in, which can cause redness, inflammation, and the possible infection.
No matter the season, skin care is a woman’s best friend and it should never be overlooked. With a little extra pampering, you can give your skin the attention it needs to stay soft and beautiful during these long winter months. Start by following these simple tips:
- Moisturize. Always moisturize frequently during the day to avoid dry skin. Moisturizers with an oil-base can form a protective seal on the skin, which is better during the winter than water-based.
- Short, warm baths. All showers should be warm but not hot. Hot water removes the natural oils lubricating the skin. Limiting baths to 10 minutes or less, moisturizing immediately afterward, will keep moisture in your skin, instead of letting it evaporate away.
- Humidifier. Heat causes the air in our homes and offices to become very dry, which in turn makes our skin very dry. A humidifier adds moisture to the air which keeps our face and hands dewy and soft.
- Sunscreen and more sunscreen. It may feel like winter is not the time to worry about SPF but, the sun is still out in full force, and the harmful UV rays are still just as damaging. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen to your exposed skin (face, chest, hands) several times a day.
- Don’t forget your lips. Use a lip balm with an adequate SPF to keep them from drying and chapping, as well.
Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery and Mirror Mirror Beauty Boutique can help you have beautiful skin all year round. Call us with your skin care questions or set up a consultation to make sure you are following the best skin care regimen for your unique skin type. Our experts will make sure you look your best, no matter the weather Mother Nature brings your way.