5 Ways To Enhance Your Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation, also known as a âboob job,â is a procedure that is performed to increase the size of the breasts. Augmentation surgery can be performed by placing an artificial breast implant behind the breast tissue or transferring fat from another part of the body.
Apart from simply increasing the size of the breasts, breast augmentation can:
- Correct unevenness or asymmetry of the breasts
- Replace lost breast volume after a mastectomy, pregnancy, or significant weight loss
- Enhance your overall appearance, the shape of your body, and your self-confidence
Getting the best results from breast augmentation takes careful planning. Here are 5 tips to enhance your experience.
Breast Augmentation Surgery
Breast augmentation is usually performed under general anesthesia. The surgeon typically makes an incision in the infra-mammary region, which refers to the skin fold underneath each breast. Incisions in the peri-areolar (around the nipple) and axillary (underarm) areas can be made instead, depending on the surgical plan.
The breast implant is then placed behind the breast tissue either above or below the pectoral muscle. After placing it, the surgeon closes the incision with a suture or a surgical tape, minimizing the visibility of the resulting scar.
Complications Of Breast Augmentation Surgery
As with every other surgical procedure, breast augmentation comes with its own list of risks and potential complications. These include:
- Scar tissue that can distort the shape of the implant (capsular contracture)
- Mastalgia, aka breast pain
- Infections that occur due to inadequate preventative antibiotics or unsanitary surgical environments
- Paresthesia and low sensitivity of the nipple and superficial breast skin. Abnormal sensation or diminished sensation can occur temporarily or permanently after the procedure.
- Implants may deteriorate as they get old, leading to changes in the position, leakage, or rupture.
- Breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma, a rare form of cancer.
Apart from the complications above, breast augmentation might not give you the desired effect you expect. You need to have realistic expectations and understand what breast augmentation can and canât do for you.See more patients Â»
Here are five steps to enhance your breast augmentation experience and keep the complications to a minimum.
1. Find Out If Breast Augmentation Is Right For You
Breast augmentation is a simple surgical procedure, yet it can dramatically impact the way you look and feel. Before you move forward, itâs important to find out if breast augmentation really is for you. During your consultation, your surgeon will discuss your goals and health status with you to see if you are a good fit for the surgery and anesthesia.
A few contraindications of breast implants and breast augmentation surgery include;
- Active breast cancer
- Infections – local or general
- Currently pregnant or breastfeeding
- Certain autoimmune diseases
- Hypersensitivity to silicone
- Bleeding disorders
A health condition wonât necessarily disqualify you for the surgery, depending on what it is. However, it is crucial to be completely truthful about any underlying conditions you might have for safety reasons.
2. Find A Good Surgeon
A good surgeon can often avoid complications that could occur during the surgery. Make sure to check the following qualifications before meeting with your surgeon. Most of this information can be found online, on their websites.
- Certification with the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS) or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
- Extensive experience and training in breast augmentation surgery, including positive reviews from other patients.
- Affiliation with accredited medical facilities. Make sure the surgeon has all the proper facilities to perform the surgery and to deal with any complications.
- A strict code of ethics. Your privacy is important. Make sure it is maintained at all times.
3. Picking The Correct Breast Implant
One of the most important factors that could enhance your breast augmentation is choosing the correct implant. Dimensions and types of implants look very different from person to person, based on their anatomy, underlying problems (if any), and their goals.
Donât worry. You donât have to do this on your own. Your surgeon and the team will help you out with it. Here are some factors to consider:
Type of Implant – Saline or Silicone
- Saline implants are filled with sterile saltwater. In case of a rupture, the liquid will not cause any severe complications, and the body will absorb the fluid, but even then, the implant must be removed. Older saline implants did not have a natural feel. However, newer saline implants with multi-layered shells provide much more realistic results.
- Silicone gel implants are famous for their natural feel. However, silicone gel is not absorbed by the body in case of a rupture and must be immediately removed. The good news is that the silicone gel often does no harm in case of rupture.
Implant Size – Volume and Diameter – Choosing the correct size of the implant is probably the most important.
- Breast implants are measured in CCs (cubic centimeters). The higher the volume, the larger the implant is.
- The diameter of the implant is responsible for the projection of the breast. The diameter is the width at the widest point of the implant. Therefore, two different breast implants with the same volume can have different shapes because of the differences in the diameters. An implant with a wider diameter is flatter, whereas an implant with a narrower diameter is more projected.
Implant Shape â Round or Teardrop
- Teardrop or Round â The natural beast has a teardrop shape, and a teardrop implant provides that shape. There’s more fullness and volume at the areolar region and the lower breast. However, these implants are more prone to complications.
- A round breast plant has a more symmetrical and the same level of fullness all the way around. Even though the round shape implants may seem less natural, many women prefer this appearance.
The Profile – Moderate or High
- The profile is how the breast implant looks from the side.
- An implant with a moderate profile is flatter and seems more natural.
- An implant with a high profile is more projected and seems less natural than a moderate profile implant. However, most women prefer the more projected implant.
4. Correct Sagging Breasts with Breast Lift
Breast augmentation adds fullness to your breasts. However, it will not correct sagging breasts. Breasts sag with age, breastfeeding, fat loss, or simply genetics. If you want your breasts to stay high up on the chest wall, a breast lift is an option.
A breast lift can be performed along with breast augmentation. Make sure to talk to your surgeon about combining the breast lift with augmentation if itâs something youâre interested in.See more patients Â»
5. Recovery – Taking Care Of Yourself
During your recovery, how you care for yourself will affect your results. Follow these tips and any instructions your surgeon gives you for the best results.
- Eat healthy food. A healthy diet can help everyone, especially after surgery. The nutrients required to facilitate healing of the scar and increasing recovery should be fulfilled. Multivitamins can be taken in case of a suspected nutrient deficiency.
- Donât exert yourself too hard during recovery. Your surgeon will give you a recovery timeline after the surgery. Adhere to it strictly, and donât take it lightly. Too much activity can risk tearing the sutures and displacing the implant.
- Bras – do not use underwire bras while recovering. Your surgeon will either recommend no bra for 6 weeks or a special support bra.
- Sleep on your back, without putting pressure on the breasts.
Learn More About Breast Augmentation
Someone going through breast augmentation usually has high hopes for the surgery. However, the outcome of the procedure depends on many factors. Following these tips can help you make the most of your surgery.
The most important step of all in the process is choosing the right surgeon. Dr. Paul Vitenas is one of the nationâs top breast enhancement surgeons and offers patients the most natural-looking results possible. For a consultation at his Houston, TX office, call 281.944.4731 today.Share this page