30+ Years of Experience
3k+ Real Patient Reviews
10,000+ Breast Surgeries Performed
Texas Super Doctor
Reserve a Free VIP Consultation
Discover why patients from across the U.S. and around the world choose Dr. Vitenas as the premier surgeon for naturally-appearing breasts.
Experience the Comforting Benefits of Implant Exchange
Uncover the allure of self-confidence and satisfaction with the Breast Implant Exchange. This groundbreaking procedure, catered to your personal aspirations, strives to enhance the outcomes of a previous augmentation and alleviate any discomfort, leaving you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
About Breast Implant Exchange Surgery
Breast Implant Exchange with Dr. Paul Vitenas
Dr. Vitenas takes a highly customized, patient-centered approach to breast implant exchange:
- A thorough initial consultation is conducted to understand your concerns with your current implants and learn about your desired outcome. Measurements are taken, and implant size is determined to meet your goals.
- The implant exchange procedure is performed under general anesthesia at Dr. Vitenas’ accredited surgery center. Old implants are removed and replaced with carefully selected new saline or silicone implants through small incisions.
- Dr. Vitenas employs advanced techniques to minimize scarring and allow for a smooth, properly positioned implant. The implant size, type, and placement can be adjusted.
The Ideal Implant Exchange Candidate
Breast implant exchange is ideal for women who have undergone breast augmentation in the past and desire some form of correction for their current implants. Possible reasons include size adjustment, correction of rippling or asymmetry, switching of saline and silicone types, or replacement of aged implants.
Good candidates for implant exchange should be in overall good health and hold realistic expectations about the scope of improvement possible.
Before scheduling breast implant exchange surgery, a consultation visit with Dr. Vitenas is required. This appointment will allow Dr. Vitenas to fully evaluate your needs and candidacy, take measurements, and help you select optimal implant specifications to fulfill your goals.
When to Consider Implant Exchange
- Breast size dissatisfaction – Some women find their initial implants make their breasts too small or too large and wish to adjust the size up or down. Weight gain or loss after the original procedure can also prompt a size change.
- Improve breast shape/proportion – Implant exchange may be performed to alter implant dimensions or position to improve aesthetic shape and breast symmetry.
- Switch saline for silicone implants – Today’s silicone implants have a more natural look and feel and are made to last a lifetime. Patients seeking enhanced natural and long-term results may opt to exchange their saline implants for silicone implants.
- Capsular contracture – An implant exchange is often necessary when tight scar tissue around an implant causes pain, distortion, and hardness.
- Deflated saline implants – While uncommon, saline implants can deflate due to a valve leak or tear in the implant shell. Deflated saline implants should be replaced.
- Breast ptosis – Some women develop sagging or “bottoming out” of their augmented breasts over time. A breast lift accompanying implant exchange can rejuvenate breast position and shape.
Recovering After Breast Implant Exchange
The recovery period after breast implant exchange surgery is generally brief, with minimal discomfort. Most patients are able to resume normal daily activities a few days after the procedure.
Prescription medicine helps manage any mild post-op pain or soreness. Your breasts may feel tight and swollen initially as healing occurs. Swelling and bruising typically subside quicker than the initial breast augmentation procedure.
Dr. Vitenas will place all incision sutures internally using absorbable stitches. No suture removal is necessary. He may recommend wearing a supportive sports bra as you heal or suggest wearing no bra. Avoid any strenuous activity or exercise for 6 weeks post-op.
Be diligent about follow-up appointments so Dr. Vitenas can monitor your progress. Complete results become apparent over three to six months as residual swelling dissipates.
The Myth of a 10-Year Breast Implant Shelf Life
There are a few factors that influence breast implant longevity:
- Implant type – Over the years, implant manufacturing has tremendously improved the quality of the implants we have today. Silicone gel implants tend to have greater durability and implant rupture resistance than saline. The cohesive gel in modern implants lends stability as well as longevity.
- Surgical technique – Precise, gentle handling of implants during surgery helps maintain implant integrity. Following all post-op care instructions also prevents premature failure.
- Regular monitoring – Getting periodic exams to check implant condition allows early detection of any issues.
- Individual health/lifestyle – Major weight fluctuations, intense physical activity, and other health issues may contribute to implant wear. A stable, healthy lifestyle helps implants last.
Cost of Breast Implant Exchange
Breast Implant Exchange FAQ
Breast implant exchange is a surgical procedure designed to replace existing breast implants with new ones. It may be done for aesthetic purposes or to address medical issues with the current implants.
- Dissatisfaction with current implant size, shape, feel, or position
- Aging or deflation of old saline/silicone implants
- Development of capsular contracture or asymmetry
- Desire to switch from saline to silicone implants
- New advances in implant technology and options
Good candidates are women currently with breast implants who are generally healthy and have realistic goals for implant exchange. It is best to wait until after pregnancy and breastfeeding is finished.
Incisions are typically placed under the breast in the breast crease fold, allowing for discreet scarring. Dr. Vitenas will determine the optimal incision placement based on factors like implant size and surgical goals.
Breast implant exchange surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia. Dr. Vitenas will make small incisions to access the implants, remove the old implants/capsules, irrigate the pockets, insert new implants, and suture the incisions closed in layers.
Breast implant exchange recovery time is usually quick, with most patients resuming normal activities within 3-5 days. There may be some initial discomfort managed with medication. Swelling and bruising typically subside within a couple of weeks. Breast shape continues improving over 3-6 months.
Most patients feel ready to return to work within just 2-3 days following their implant exchange procedure. Desk work duties are possible immediately, while physical jobs may require more time off.
As with any surgery, there are pros and cons of breast implant exchange. Risks may include bleeding, infection, capsular contracture, implant malposition/leak, loss of nipple sensation, asymmetry, and unfavorable scarring. Dr. Vitenas takes precautions to minimize risks.
Dr. Vitenas performs breast implant exchange surgery at his accredited Houston Surgery Center located within the Vitenas Cosmetic Surgery building. This allows a private, comfortable experience.
The cost of a breast implant exchange procedure will be provided during the consultation. At that time, patients will receive an estimate based on the complexity of the surgery, the type of implants, and other details such as anesthesia, post-op appointments, and the surgeon's fee.
After your breast implant exchange procedure, you can expect some mild discomfort that will be managed with prescribed medication, as well as swelling, bruising, and tightness in the breast area as your body heals. There may be temporary changes in nipple sensitivity. You'll notice improvement within a couple of weeks as major swelling goes down. Contact the doctor right away if you have any concerning symptoms like severe pain, bleeding, fever, or redness. Overall you can look forward to enjoying your revitalized, youthful breast contour after this transformative procedure.