It is perhaps not uncommon now to see many people wish for and actually go in for more than one cosmetic procedure in their lifetime. There is a desire to achieve a near perfect body – an ideal waist line, a pointy nose, breast lift, a mommy makeover post – childbirth, among others and oftentimes, they want to know the possibility of having these desired plastic surgery procedures done in one sitting. And so they ask – “Can I have more than one procedure at a go?”
To answer this question, we will consider two other important questions:
- How safe is it?
- What conditions are required?
Is it safe to undergo multiple plastic surgical procedures at once?
The answer is yes; one can undergo more than one plastic surgery procedure in one hospital visit provided the person fulfills the needed criteria that ensures safety.
In fact, the American Society of plastic surgery, in 2016 reported that about 16 billion dollars were spent by Americans on cosmetic surgeries and quite a good number were combined at a time and were safe overall.
3 things to consider before undertaking more than one plastic surgery procedure at once
Before one decides to undergo multiple plastic surgery procedures, one ordinarily should ensure the following conditions:
- The person should be healthy enough to remain under prolonged anesthesia without complications. This means being without contraindications like hypertension and asthma.
- Due diligence should be done to assess and ascertain the experience and skills of the surgeon. It would be more reassuring if the surgeon has some experience in carrying out multiple cosmetic surgeries at once.
- Ideally opt for a safe combination of surgical procedures. An experienced cosmetic surgeon would expectedly offer recommendations and counsel and this should be adhered to.
What are the plastic surgery combinations that can be done at the same time?
Most times, the number of surgeries that can be combined is two. When safety and the need for complete recovery are considered, some of the common combinations are as follows:
- Breast enlargement and tummy tuck:
Breast enlargement involves making some pockets of space behind the breast and then inserting inert implants in the spaces created in order to make the breasts bigger and firmer. Tummy tuck on the other hand involves the removal of excess fat and skin from the tummy and tightening the weak abdominal muscles.
Facelift (also called rhytidectomy) is the surgical reconstruction of the face in order to give it a rejuvenated appearance. It can be combined with eyelid surgery which involves removing excess skin, fat and muscles from the eyelids in order to make them look more youthful.
- Facelift and fat transfer:
It involves pulling back flaps of skin on both sides of the face in order to create a tighter, smoother and more youthful look. Here, it is done together with fat transfer involving the harvesting of fat from areas with excess fat to be transferred to areas lacking in volume like the face, the breasts or buttocks.
- Chin augmentation and nose lift surgery:
Chin augmentation is the enhancement of the symmetry and contours of the chin area, usually achieved by placing implants on the chin bone, below the skin. It can be done together with nose lift (rhinoplasty) which involves the use of dermal filler materials to alter the shape of the nose, to improve the facial profile.
- Liposuction and tummy tuck:
Liposuction can be done alongside tummy tuck. Excess fat is removed from the abdomen while the excess skin is also removed and loose abdominal muscles made tighter. This gives the abdomen a sleek look.
This includes liposuction, tummy tuck and/or breast enhancement. It is usually requested for by women who are done with childbearing and are desirous of a more youthful body.
Are there any advantages of having more than one plastic surgery procedure done at once?
There are many benefits associated with having more than one plastic surgery procedure done simultaneously. Some of them are as follows:
- One gets to go to the doctor only once: Even though there will be more than one consultation with the doctor, the procedures get to be done at once. It saves time and money and reduces anxiety before each procedure.
- One gets to go under anesthesia only once: This is beneficial when you consider that most complications from surgeries result from anesthesia, making it advantageous to go through it only once.
- Lower hospital bill: The patient gets to pay for the theatre room, anesthesia, and sundry only once as against when one chooses to go for the procedures separately.
- More dramatic results: combined procedures are more likely to result in more obvious and even dramatic results. An example is having liposuction and tummy tuck procedures done at once to achieve a better waistline.
Are there disadvantages to having more than one plastic surgical procedure done at once?
For all its benefits, combining more than one plastic surgery may also have some untoward effects:
- Recovery time is longer: since more than one procedure is done, the patient would need a longer time for the body to heal properly.
- Higher anesthesia dosage is required: having more than one procedure at a time would mean a need for stronger and longer lasting anesthesia and this may not be very ideal for persons with certain underlying health conditions.
- Doctor fatigue: the surgeon may tend to become less sharp in mind and body as the duration of operation gets longer.
It is very much acceptable to have more than one plastic surgery procedure done at once. However, safety has to be ensured and in most cases, only about two to three plastic surgical procedures can be combined at a time in order to allow the body to rest and the immune system recover before the next procedure.Also note that only a board certified cosmetic plastic surgeon should perform these procedures. If you are considering any of these cosmetic procedures, don’t hesitate to reach out to us here.